Product Design Apprentice @ Etsy
13 days ago
I'm thrilled to share we're hiring for Product Design apprenticeship roles here at Etsy! Deadline to apply is Friday, June 17th. Please share with US-based folks you know may be looking for entry-level product design positions 🧡
Etsy is the global marketplace for unique and creative goods. We build, power, and evolve the tools and technologies that connect entrepreneurs with buyers around the world. Etsy, Inc.'s 'house of brands' portfolio has expanded to now include four individually distinct ecommerce brands -- Etsy, fashion resale marketplace Depop, musical instrument marketplace Reverb, and Brazil-based handmade goods marketplace Elo7. As an Etsy employee, you'll tackle unique problems alongside talented coworkers committed to Keeping Commerce Human. We're large enough that you'll focus on meaningful, complex challenges, but small enough that you can make a rewarding impact.
What is the Apprenticeship Program?
In most tech companies employees that identify as Black/African American, LatinX, Indigenous/Native or are from marginalized genders are severely underrepresented. At Etsy we care deeply about representation and are determined to be an inclusive hiring leader in the industry.
The Etsy Apprenticeship Program was designed to provide pathways into the Tech Industry for members of underrepresented communities that have non-traditional backgrounds and that have been historically disenfranchised from traditional Tech Industry Recruiting practices. We believe that there is no single life or career trajectory that will make you successful in Tech, so if you’re a career changer, a bootcamper or self- taught we would like to meet you and hear about all of your experiences that have led you to wanting to have a career in Tech.
This 12 week Product Design apprenticeship will take place from 8/31/2022 through 11/18/2022 with an opportunity to convert to a full-time position with Etsy.*
What’s this team like at Etsy?
Typically, product designers at Etsy work in a squad with a product manager, 3-5 engineers, researcher and analyst. Together they drive their own part of Etsy, deliver solutions to challenging problems and get feedback directly from customers.
Day to day, it looks like:
- Discovering insights, opportunities, and requirements
- Testing prototypes and hypotheses with users to collect feedback
- Launching experiments and evaluating how they perform and how to iterate
- Presenting your work to peers and leadership, async and in-person
- Taking part in weekly design critiques, workshops, all hands and squad meetings
- Thinking and writing about your process and documenting your decisions
Apprentice level at Etsy means:
- You are learning your craft and seek mentorship and feedback from your manager and more senior designers, where appropriate
- You are learning to use research and data to inform your design solutions
- You sketch, prototype, and create high fidelity artifacts with the team, working with your manager and other designers to determine the best formats and fidelities for your work
- You are learning to use our design system, aiming for proficiency and consistency
- You contribute to the team shipping good work, balancing pragmatism and quality
Qualities we value in designers:
- Effective articulation of ideas and design solutions
- Expressing feedback with kindness and candor
- Tolerance for ambiguity and healthy curiosity
- Translation of quantitative & qualitative insights into design decisions
- Contribution to our culture: motivation, optimism, quality, integrity
If you're interested in joining the team at Etsy, please apply today!
Applications close on Friday, June 17, 2022.
Please submit a portfolio piece to demonstrate your UX work. This can be in the form of a portfolio website, PDF, Google Slide / Powerpoint, Behance post, or Medium article.
What do we look for in a portfolio piece?
- A sample of your work to demonstrate understanding of product strategy, how you move through the product design process, and ability to design high quality work
Here are helpful articles and examples for inspiration for you to consider. Note that we are not expecting you to follow any one of these exactly, but have provided these links if the concept of a portfolio is new to you.
- How to write a UX case study
- My First UX Case Study for Google UX Certification
- Design Inspire Apprentice Portfolio Piece example
- How to create a successful UX case study in 2022 to ace your first interview
At Etsy, we believe that a diverse, equitable and inclusive workplace makes us a more relevant, more competitive, and more resilient company. We encourage people from all backgrounds, ages, abilities, and experiences to apply. Etsy is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ancestry, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital or family status, disability, gender, gender identity or expression, pregnancy or caregiver status, veteran status, or any other legally protected status.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodations to participate in the job application and interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. While Etsy supports visa sponsorship, sponsorship opportunities may be limited to certain roles and skillsets.