Senior Product Designer @ Help Scout
12 days ago
At Help Scout we make support software that empowers more than 12,000 customer-centric businesses to serve people in the most human, helpful way. We're a remote company with 125+ employees in over 80 cities around the world — and we've been remote-first from day one.
We believe that when teams represent different backgrounds, perspectives, and experiences, magic happens. The result is better products and a culture that enables everyone to bring their authentic selves to work. As a Certified B Corporation, we are using business as a force for good, and are held accountable to inclusive, sustainable practices and their impact on our team, customers, community and the environment.
- Help Scout has always been a company that puts design and the customer experience at the top of every list—the right decision, always, is the best experience for the customer. You’ll be given the space, trust and autonomy to do your best work, and you'll be supported by teammates who sweat the details and bring out your best.
- Product Designers at Help Scout are embedded on cross-functional teams that each own a specific part of the product. As the designer on the Productivity team, you will be responsible for building and improving powerful automation features for support professionals who spend the majority of their working day in Help Scout. Additionally, you will be instrumental in creating new experiences that enable users to access, organize and take action on their customer data, enabling companies to deliver truly high-impact, personalized support at scale. From concept to completion, and every iteration in between, you will have a direct impact on how we get there.
About the role
- As a design lead for your team, you’ll contribute to overall strategy and decision-making about product direction, and advocate for the creation of an experience that is useful, fun, and innovative.
- You’ll conduct research alongside a Product Manager to enhance and update what we know about our customers, their use cases, their goals/challenges, and leverage both qualitative and quantitative data to validate design decisions.
- You’ll define the user experience, interactions, and user interface through user flows, sketches, prototypes, wireframes, and visual design, partnering closely with engineers along the way to to collaborate on your vision and make it a reality.
- As the dedicated designer on your product team, you'll own the work, start to finish. Along the way you will have the support and collaboration from your product design teammates to help ensure a consistent, quality experience is being delivered to customers.
- You’ll use, contribute to, and help evolve Help Scout's robust design system.
- Salary: We have an internal transparent salary matrix for each team. For this role, our salary options are $169,000 or $176,000 depending on experience. Read more about how we approach compensation here!
- You’ve been a product designer for several years and are experienced working on products people depend on every day.
- You over-invest in well crafted interaction and visual design that makes the customer experience feel human, helpful and delightful. You leverage prototyping skills (HTML/CSS/JS a plus) to articulate your designs, especially in cases where interactions may be particularly nuanced.
- Your decisions are data-informed, and you have a proven ability to deliver excellent UI/UX while considering limitations of scale.
- You have experience leading in planning and executing the experience roadmap for complex projects.
- You’ll take full ownership of your work, and take responsibility for every last detail, every step of the way.
- You pride yourself on your collaboration with others. You are exceptional at outbound communication(both sync and async) and clarifying your design decisions with every touch point. You crave feedback, and understand how to apply it in your work.
- You have experience contributing to a design system, and have been an active participant in its evolution.
Who you'll work with
- The design team can't wait to meet you!
- Jared McDaniel: Co-founder, Director of Product Design
- Product Designers: Kylie Dunkley, Seán Halpin, Alex Estrada Cline, Stacy Pitman, Ben Pham
A note about time zones:
- You are located in the Americas or EMEA (between-7 through +2 UTC). EST working hours are preferred. We believe in strong work-life balance, and since you'll be working closely with Engineering, Product, and Design teams, we are focusing our search to these timezones. You must be able to commit to core working hours between 9AM-1PM EST.
Competitive salary - Our salary formula is public to all employees (but doesn't divulge your specific salary) and we update it at least once per year. Your salary is the same no matter where you live. Our goal is to pay at or above the market rate of a US-based tech hub like Boston or Seattle.
Health and dental insurance - We cover you and your family's health/dental insurance 100%. If you are based in the US, we'll cover you on our Aetna policy. If you're based outside the US, we'll reimburse your out-of-pocket health and dental insurance costs.
Long-term/short-term disability insurance & life insurance - we cover 100% of the premiums for LT/ST disability insurance and base life insurance. You also have the option to purchase supplementary life insurance through our provider (currently US only).
Flexible vacation - Take time off when you need it! We recommend 3-4 weeks in addition to public holidays, but there are no firm rules. We trust you.
Sabbatical - After you've been at Help Scout for 4 years, you get a month of paid vacation (in addition to regular vacation) and $2,500 to spend towards travel, learning, projects or anything else during your time off. Read about what our CEO did.
Paid parental leave, including adoption and foster care - 12 weeks of paid leave for all new parents.
401k with 1% match- via Betterment for Business (currently US only)
Personal Development stipend - Up to $1,800 per year to improve your craft
Bonuses - everyone is eligible to receive a quarterly bonus up to 8% based on shared company revenue goals.
Set you up for success — we’ll get every new teammate a Mac laptop or equivalent of their choice, and provide a $1500 stipend so you can feel ready to work from home. We also cover up to $350 USD per month if you'd like to rent a co-working desk somewhere.
Complete transparency - Everyone has full access to business metrics and financial information about the company.
Help Scout is made by roughly 160 people in 80+ cities around the world, all with a passion for helping others. We come from diverse backgrounds and are united by an enthusiasm for great products and delightful customer experiences. Help Scout launched in 2011 and today we have more than 12,000 paying customers in 140+ countries.
Why Help Scout?
We're remote. It doesn’t matter if you’ve worked remotely before — we’ve been doing it for nearly a decade and are helping to write the playbook — we’re happy to show you the ropes. Most folks that get a taste of working in a "remote first" company have a hard time going back to the old way of doing things.
We’re passionate about diversity and inclusion. The data is abundantly clear about diverse teams being more successful, and we're dedicated to setting the team up for success. Today our leadership team is 62% women, and that's just the start. Here's our DEI Dashboard where you can see all of our team demographic data and read about our commitment to this work.
We're committed to SMBs for the long term. Help Scout is focused entirely on serving small and midsize businesses, typically up to 500 employees, because those companies view customer service differently. It's not a cost to be optimized, it's their most effective marketing tool and a key differentiator from the competition. We built Help Scout for companies that truly value being customer-centric (like us) and want a product that shares their values.
We're leaving the world better than we found it. Did you know Help Scout is a certified B Corporation, with a mission to give away at least 1% of our product through Help Scout for Good? Our company exists not just to help ourselves, but to invest in our team, our customers, our community, and our environment.
Our commitment to you
We are an equal opportunity employer and are committed to building a company that embraces and celebrates diversity and inclusion. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We have read the studies and understand that diverse teams build better products, bring more perspective to the table, contribute to a company’s financial success and help foster a more inclusive environment for all employees, but the bottom line is that it's the right thing to do.